1 November 2016
Ceremony of awarding the winners of the third national contest Quarry Life Award has been held in Almaty
On October 20 in the Kazakh National University named after Al-Farabi (Almaty), the winners of the Third National Contest Quarry Life Award were acclaimed and awarded.
This international research and education contest is conducted by HeidelbergCement in 20 countries. The purpose of the Contest is to engage ideas to improve the ecology and to keep biological diversity at quarries and places of industrial mining of the Company.
This Contest was held at Bukhtarma plant's quarry in East Kazakhstan Oblast in 2012 for the first time in Kazakhstan. In 2014, for the second time the Contest was held at our new CaspiCement plant and at quarry on extraction of raw materials for cement production. This time, the venue for the contest was decided to be the crushed stone quarry located in Baltabai settlement of Almaty oblast.
To participate in the contest, the students of biology and ecology programs were invited together with the academic researchers of the city of Almaty. They have submitted 16 project proposals on a variety of issues related to research of flora/fauna and biodiversity conservation at Baltabai open pit.
Our examining jury evaluated all project proposals and selected five of them, whose authors were accepted to the final stage of the contest:
- Svetlana Kim (teacher of biology) with the project "Lake Foundation as Arrangement for Fish Farming, Construction of Environmentally Safe Touristic Zone"
- Raihan Iskakova (teacher of geography in KazSPU) with the project "Concept of Creating Tourist and Recreational Landscape Park "Turgen"
- Lina Lebedeva (officer of the Institute of Genetics under the Kazakh State University) with the report "Using Mixed Soil Enrichment Method to Create Fertile Top Soil"
- Dmitry Faleyev (Research Institute of Ecology Officer) with the report "Exploring the Role of Micosimbio Trophic Organisms to Form Plant Communities in Baltabai quarry"
- Sergey Sklyarenko (Deputy Director of the Kazakhstan Association of Biodiversity Preservation) with the project "Creating of an Enriched Ecological Community and Promoting Preservation of Biological Diversity"
The contest finalists had been working on their projects on biological diversity study at Baltabai quarry from April to October. After the completion of studies, works under the Contest were submitted to the examining jury, who identified the winners.
As in the previous years, cash prizes equal to EUR 1500, 3 000 and 5 000 were provided for the winners of National Contests.
Mr. Roman Kempe, the General Manager of HeidelbergCement in Kazakhstan, opened the awarding ceremony and described the company's activities highlighting great significance attached by our company to environmental issues and preservation of biodiversity.
Finally, the Contest winners were announced and Sergei Nikolayevich Pchelintsev, the General Director of Bektas Group LLP, presented them with prizes and memorable gifts to audience's applause.
Lina Lebedeva was recognized the winner of the Contest and was awarded a certificate for EUR 5 000. The second prize in the amount of EUR 3 000 was adjudged to Sergey Sklyarenko. Dmitry Faleyev obtained the third prize with an award of EUR 1500. The remaining contestants were presented with consolation prizes.
Works of all contest-participants are automatically considered at international level, where prizes aggregate to EUR 10 000, 20 000 and 30 000. International Awarding Ceremony for the Contest winners is to be held in Brussels on December 8.